Thursday, June 27, 2013

Back in Action 2.0

Hello! After taking a LONG break from blogging, here I am again! I finished up my first year of teaching, and I am now fully enjoying my summer! I certainly hope you are too! :) I've tried to split up my time sort of evenly between me time (aka pool/nap time) and teacher time...some days are more balanced than others hehe! Here are some things that are happening during my teacher time...

1. LAURA CANDLER WORKSHOPS! Can y'all believe that the AMAZING Laura Candler lives in Fayetteville too? She is hosting two workshops in July, which I am SO happy to say that I'll be attending! I'd love to know if anyone else is going! If anyone needs me, I'll be the nerdy girl with the bangs happily writing down everything Laura says...

2. Playing with my new iPad - I used my supplement money to make the biggest purchase of my young life...a fabulous iPad! I'm trying to load it up with great apps to use during small groups...do any of you have any good recommendations? If you do, please leave a comment! In return for your great suggestion(s), you can choose a product of your choice from my TpT store for free! :) Don't be shy!

3. Revamping my spelling program for next year - I didn't like how my spelling system worked out this past school year. I am trying to create a fully school-based (no homework) spelling program based on the Words Their Way system. I feel like sending my kids home with 16 words a week and having a test on Friday did not serve my class well. Yeah, they could spell "resplendence" for me on a given Friday...but would they know it a month later? NO! I want to focus on actually helping my kids grow in their spelling knowledge and ability to apply spelling patterns to their own reading and writing, not just learn to memorize from a list. I have a really great idea of how I want to introduce the words and how they will work with them during the week, but I am still figuring out the assessment piece. Any suggestions?

It is good to be back! :)

<3 Kelsey

1 comment:

  1. I do the school based Words their Way. Won't go back! LOL!

    I nominated you for the Liebster Award. Check out how to accept by going to my blog http://eltigger.blogspot.com.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete